Totton & Eling

The current population is about 30,000 and is situated in the New Forest District and County of Hampshire. Situated on the River Test, the area has a long history of shipbuilding but also maintains strong links with the Forest. Until the 1950's New Forest ponies used to roam freely around the town.

Totton Rivers are The Test, Blackwater, Bartley Water and the Rum which is not marked on many maps today, but Rumbridge street.and Rumbridge by the Rushington roundabout mark its passing.

In 1974 Eling Parish Council became Totton & Eling Town Council due to the increase in size of Totton town. In 850ad the West Saxon King Aethelfulf gave land for a burial ground and church at Eling Hill. The church built on the site in the 9th Century was replaced with a simple stone church by the Normans and part of this original building can still be seen today.

Eling was entered in the doomsday book as Edlinges and Totton as Totintone. And a Mill which is also in the survey still survives today as the Eling Tide Mill. The History of this area can be followed at the Totton & Eling Heritage Centre which takes you back to the Bronze Age when some people lived just north of the town at what is now Testwood lakes. Could the name Totton have been derived from the landing place of the Teutons "Cerdic and his son Cynric" to Totintone then Totton

Tottons Growth

Local roman roads Romans In 55 BC Julius Caesar first Attacked Britain in 54 BC he came and conquered a large area of the country and sacked St Albans Imposed a tribute and left .Ninety years later in 43 AD Aulus Plautius a General of The Emperor Claudius Conquered Vectis (Isle of Wight) and subdued all the land between the Wash and the Southampton Water There are Remains of a Roman road from Nursling to Stony cross and roads from Winchester to Southampton and from Lepe to Hythe .It is thought that the Romans used a ferry from hythe to Southampton and a ferry from Lepe to the Isle of Wight, Their are remains of roman pottery works in the New Forest.
Map Southampton history Saxon England The Jutes "a Tuetonic Tribe" were The First to settle in England so called because they came from Jutland , Hengist & Horsa were the first in 449 AD, they founded the Kingdom of Kent. But it was in 495 AD that Cerdic and his son Cynric landed in southampton water and later went on to Take Winchester and the Isle of Wight they founded the Kingdom of Wessex. In 508 AD King Natanlaod was killed by Cerdic at the Battle of Netley (Natanleag) .It is believed that the battle took place at Netley Marsh .When over 5000 people were Killed. As you can see from the maps the Coast Line was different in Roman & Saxon Times and erosion has Changed the shape of the land "see Testwood lakes" .

A.D. 679. The monastery of Coldingiham was destroyed by fire from heaven.
A.D. 744. The stars went swiftly shooting;

Go to Cerdic and the Cloven Way and a possible landing at Totton by the Teutons
Map 584 AD
St. Boniface (WINFRID, WYNFRITH).Apostle of Germany, martyred 5 June, 755 (754); He was a native of England, Abbey of Nhutscelle (Nutshalling) Nursling between Winchester and Southampton. Here, leading an austere and studious life under Abbot Winbert, In 716 he set out for the mission in Friesland. In the 12th century Simeon of Durham states that in 764 AD a number of places were devastated by fire: `The calamity struck Stretburg [Cirencester?], Winchester, Southampton, the city of London, the city of York, Doncaster and many other places.We now know that Southampton , Ipswich and London were all important trading centres, or wics, from the early 700s. All lay within Mercia, whose power in the 8th century covered the whole of England south of the Humber.
Map 1399AD King Canute had his feet washed by the Sea at southampton, when he proved to his lords that no man Ruled the waves and such matters should be left for God. In the last 800 years the two prominences at Lepe have disappeared. The Bays may have Silted up or the prominences may have washed away or a combination of both but the Maps of the land between the Isle of Wight and the Mainland changed considerably

Ariel Map An Ariel Photo Shows Hampshire and the Isle of Wight as it Is Today
Map 1811 AD Early Maps were Mainly dependant on who wanted the map and for what purpose it was intended This 1811 Map is only a small portion of a Map Picturing the New Forest and so it is not as well detailed as Most Maps of the Area
Map 1850 Ad One Of the First Maps By the ordinance Survey, Showing That Actual Buildings Were few and far Between. The Area is mainly Farms with a few houses at Eling, Old Calmoor & Totton. In Totton only Commercial Road, Rumbridge Street & Bears Lane had Groups of houses.
Frome First Loacl Train The Railway line had arrived in 1847 at Totton Via the Southampton to Dorchester Line. The Locomotive "Frome" was used on The Line
Map 1950 AD 100 Years Later It Is easy to see how Totton has built up and all the Farms between The Roads are starting to fill up with Houses. Traffic Had become a nuisance in the Summer as Bottle necks at The World Stores at The Junction of Salisbury Road With the Ringwood Road (Now Totton Roundabout) Trying to pass from the New Forest In The West to Southampton in The East , and for a while Totton had the Record for the Longest Traffic Jam In The World.
Map 1990 AD Totton and Eling is a town of nearly 28,000 population in the New Forest District and is ideally situated for the New Forest, the Coast and City Centre Shopping It has a Market every wednesday in the Town Centre .A Heritage centre , a Working Tidal Mill, Football Ground, Bowls Centre, And a number of Community Centres And Recreational Facilities

Map Ord Survey
Image produced from the Ordnance Survey Get-a-map service. Image reproduced with kind permission of Ordnance Survey and Ordnance Survey of Northern Ireland.

The new Testwood Lakes at the top right of picture, where Recent Finds, include an older river course and a Jetty dated to the Bronze Age , a Bronze Age dagger was also found. The dagger is now in the Totton Heritage Centre, At Eling Quay.
If thier was a Jetty here it is possible that thier was a settlement of some kind here. this could explain why the Roman road took a slight turn near here to pass by or close to the settlement. It would also mean that the river was navigable up to this piont and that Totton only came into being as the river silted up and changed course or became unpassible to the ships.
The Calmore community Centre is Marked CCA
And Tatchbury hill fort is Just above Tatchbury Manor
Go To Article Wessex News Letter Bronze age "Jetties" or causeways at testwood lakes

Totton & Eling Heritage Centre

In the Totton & Eling Heritage Centre you can take a walk through time from the Bronze age to the present day. The Centre also houses the Bronze Age dagger found to the north of the Town when the new Testwood Lakes were being excavated. After your visit why not have a coffee or a light snack in our adjoining Cafe. The Centre is open in Summer from Wednesday to Sunday 10.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m. and from November to Easter 10.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m. on weekends only.

Further details can be obtained by Telephoning 023 8066 6339

Eling Tide Mill was restored in 1980 as a working Tide Mill Museum. It is one of the few surviving tide mills in the world to harness the power of tide for the regular Production of flour. The earliest record of a Mill on Eling causeway is 1086 but the present building dates from the 18th Century.Eling Tide Mill is not able to operate at high tides

For details of milling and opening times you can Telephone 023 8086 9575.